Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Recent Fishing Confines

Recent trips have been confined mainly to the River Wye due to the lack of water currently being experienced on many of my usual 'small stream' haunts.




Even on the Wye there is a need to target the river early morning or late evening to get the best out of it. As a result to getting to the river at these times I have fortunately had some reasonable catches although the target fish has predominately been the Grayling with the Trout waiting 'til the onset of darkness before feeling safe to feed.



I have also been trying out a new 9' #3 rod which was built by a friend of mine who has built many rods over the last few years and has amassed a great deal of knowledge on the optimum process involved (more on this in a future post).




Nick - pushing his 11' #2 french leader rod to the maximum with a fine Grayling




A little worst for wear but a very successful Olive Dun pattern for the Wye
Although I'm off for a long weekend break Friday I'm hoping that the rivers I fish get the much needed rain to re-vitalise them and with a bit of luck the remaining month of the trout season will see a flourish of small stream action!