Monday, June 7, 2010

River Towy - Abercothi Estate

Last weekend I had my first ever attempt at Sea Trout fishing and although I ended the session fishless I must say that the whole experience has left me with a desire to add this fish to my catch list sometime soon.

To be honest I don't think I could have fished a better venue with 400+ Sewin caught on this beat last year the Abercothi beat on the River Towy is prime Sea trout fishing. It was described ‘Best in Britain’ by the Salmon and Trout Magazine (1990).

Head ghillie Cyril Fox has an amazing knowledge of this venue with countless years experience on the beat and just before dark talked me through the pools I was to fish...where was safe to wade, places to cast, best lies etc.

Although there were no fish caught they were undoubtedly in the river with many splashes heard through the early hours but with the desperately low water the odds were agaist us.

Outside the fishing lodge at Abercothi


I look forward to a return here soon and hope my luck changes for the better.