Saturday, January 2, 2010

Xmas Fishing Blues



With the eagerly anticipated Christmas break well and truly over I have to say it ended with a little disappointment as far as Grayling fishing goes.

The 2 rivers that I had hoped to get really stuck into were plagued by rain just at the wrong times causing levels to remain high through most of the 12 days I stayed in Mid-Wales.

The upper River Wye was well over fishing level virtually throughout leaving me to concentrate my few fishing trips on the River Irfon.


My first outing was a new one for me...a relatively new Wye & Usk Foundation beat called Llwyn Einon. The lower part of this beat looks like it should be stuffed with Grayling but after 2 hours without a single pull on the leader and snow falling hard I called it a day.


A final 2 more trips lower down on the River Irfon produced a catch of 17 & 20 but the Grayling were still proving elusive with the majority of the fish caught being Trout. These trout were all in superb condition so I assume that they have already finished spawning.





It seems that since the start of November any chance of fishing has been very much the exception which really highlights the case for taking any opportunities we can when conditions allow us.