Monday, April 12, 2010

River Edw Revisited

I took another couple of visits to this cracking little stream that runs into the River Wye just below Builth Wells.






Fishing two beats on The Wye And Usk Foundation voucher scheme over the weekend I found this little gem still with the same magic as I remembered from fishing there last year.




These upland streams soon thin out after a few rainless days and I would certainly recommend a visit when the river is just starting to clear after a good rainfall.



The fishing was as I'd expected with trout having a go in the likely spots but really this river still needs a few weeks to get into top form.



The upper section (Hundred House) of the W&UF beats is very different from the lower beats with a much more gentle appearance and lots of slow meandering bends, it is definitely a place to target when the trout start feeding freely on the surface and fish are easier to target with a dry fly...its hard to get an ideal presentation whilst nymph fishing in slower water like this.



With a few vouchers still in my pocket I have a feeling I'm destined for another return in the near future.